The Department for International Trade list a number of High Potential Opportunities (HPO) throughout the Northern Powerhouse. One of which being the potential Rail Infrastructure holds throughout Doncaster and the Sheffield City Region.
With UK railways entering a new golden age, national rail infrastructure is currently estimated to be worth £88 billion. Rail operators will invest more than £35 billion in new services and equipment over the next 15 years – a supply chain expansion of 140%.
Doncaster is the home of UK high-speed rail, it is also at the centre of developing the next generation of rail travel and rolling stock.
Companies based in Doncaster benefit from easy access to the rail industry and investment and other opportunities including:
An established rail base
- a major part of the local economy for more than 150 years
- a highly integrated supply chain, well connected infrastructure and more than 50 rail companies located here
Skills and research
- access to an 8,000-strong highly skilled rail workforce
- home to world-class research centres and academic institutions such as The Centre of Innovation in Rail, The Institute for Railway Research, the National College of High Speed Rail, the Rail Innovation and Technology Centre, The University of Huddersfield
Access and logistics
- centrally located in the UK, with excellent access to the £80 billion-plus opportunities in the nearby continental markets
- unrivalled specialised logistics and infrastructure, including iPortrail, an intermodal freight hub creating local, national and international supply chains
Reasons to invest in rail include:
- Upgrading rolling stock
Rolling stock in the UK is more than 25 years old on average, so there is an urgent need to update equipment. UK rail operators will procure £35 billion of new equipment and services over the next 15 years
- Significant demand
The UK currently imports over £600 million worth of rolling stock from outside the EU alone, providing a significant market opportunity
- Major rail projects
Several major rail projects are underway in the UK. These include HS2, Europe’s largest infrastructure project, Crossrail and Transport for the North. These projects represent a vast supply chain opportunity for rail component producers
Who’s already here?
Join companies who are already capitalising on the region’s rare opportunity in Rail Infrastructure.